Pages

Monday, 22 June 2009

Lily update

Thank you all so much for your lovely, supportive comments about Lily and I know many of you have been waiting for an update. So, we saw the vet this afternoon and I explained what had happened on Sunday morning and what had happened before (the 3-4 previous episodes she's had have been over more than a year and the last time was about 8 months ago). He explained all about epilepsy in dogs and that as long as she is away from furniture and other hazards, she is not going to do herself any harm. He also said that there is no test to determine for certain it is epilepsy, but all the signs point towards that. He said they can do tests to eliminate other serious things, but as she is so young and so healthy otherwise, there is probably no need right now.

The upshot of it all is that we are not going to put her on meds for now unless the seizures become more frequent - he said that if she goes another 8 months without one, then it's fine and she is better not taking meds. So, we are going to see for now how things go and monitor her behaviour closely over the coming weeks and months.

I will keep you all updated on her progress of course! Spare a thought for poor Pompey who was really scared about it all - he was nervous of being around Lily for 24 hours after which I guess is understandable - I just hope that it doesn't happen too frequently for his sake.

I'll be back tomorrow with the elements for Bright Lights of Summer! See you then!

22 comments:

ltnbrn said...

Oh, poor Lily! (And Pompey, too!) We had an Akita who developed epilepsy. She was a bit on the older side so the vet placed her on medications to prevent the seizures. She lived for quite some time.

It's so hard to see your animals sick/hurting. We have three older cats and they've all had their share of various illnesses...one even had to have surgery a couple years ago after nearly dying from a blocked urethra!

I'm glad that she is all right; it's good news. Oh, and thank you for the new kit...it's fabulous!

Shel said...

Just read about Lilly's episodes in your other post. So glad to hear that she's feeling better. It's definitely scary to see that (our old dog had them occasionally). Here's hoping she stays seizure-free!

Ajila said...

Vicki, I'm very happy to hear that Lily's condition may be controllable without medications, and that it appears not to be from a deeper underlying condition. My thoughts are with Lily, Pompey and of course you. LYSL!

Tammy Dunlap said...

Oh thats so sad about Lily but I am glad she is healthy and they think she will be ok though. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Sylvia92 said...

Wow ! Dear Vicki ! I never heard that dog could get this ! Hope Lily is going to be fine ! Hugssss !!!

Stacey said...

I am so glad that it isn't too serious, the poor thing! Give her and Pompey a big hug from auntie Stacey!!!

craftychic said...

Hi Vicki,
I'm so sorry to hear about Lily and her seizure. I do hope hers don't happen too frequently. I have a 4-year Eng. Springer who was diagnosed last August with Epilepsy and it's been really tough. She has seizures about every 3 weeks. We had her on Phenobarbital and just found out that her Liver has some damage because it wasn't processing the drug correctly. We have her on other things now that will hopefully start getting the seizures under control. Good luck with Lily and if she does start meds, please watch her very closely for any changes, they mean something :-) Please give Lily and Pompey a hug for me!

Yvette said...

Thank you for the update on Lily. Keeping happy thought for Lily.

Marif said...

So glad things aren't too bad. I'm crossing my fingers that she won't have other episodes and can stay off meds.
Again, huge hugs to her and Pompey!

Heidi said...

I am just now reading about Lily. I also have a dog who is epileptic. If you need information or support, I have a page on my blog about canine epilepsy. I also have a blog dedicated to my dog. http://topazseizires.blogspot.com I hope she continues to do better and that her seizures are few and far between!

Heidi said...

http://topazseizures.blogspot.com/ is the correct address...sorry!

Snowsmoon said...

Thank you so much for the update and glad it seems to be on a very positive note. It is very scary when going through that but now you know what to look for and watch for and seems like you have a very caring vet.

Take care of the babies and talk to you soon!
Hugs
Dawn

bethrosler said...

So glad your pup is okay! :)

Elizabeth said...

I lived with a lady whose dog had epilepsy, he was 17 and still a happy boy. I am sure under your watchful eye Lilly will do just great!

Damsel said...

Hang in there

Arianna said...

Hi Vickie, it's the first time I comment a post of yours but I've been reading all about your dogs. I had a very loved one with epilepsy, but he was old (17 years...) and became hill after a car stroke. Against all odds he made another year with medications. Watch for sudden weather changes (like heavy rain), usually they bother them.
And thanks for all your amazing designs
Ciao, Ari

makeyesup said...

Glad to hear that you know what the problem is with Lily and sure hope the seizures are infrequent.

LouCeeCreations said...

Poor poor Lily, and poor Pompey too! give them both a cuddle from me xx
if she does have to go on meds, at least it will help to control it.. and I am sure Pompey will begin to learn that Lily has a problem and will be there to comfort her when she is ready.. Labs are such intelligent dogs, and who knows, he might learn when to pick up on her problem and alert you, wouldn't that be great.

Sasa said...

Just wanted to let you know that Murphy and I are sending purrs and prayers your way. Hugs and snuggles to Lily and Pompey!

HarleyGirl said...

Hi Vicki, just popped out to your blog to see what was going on and read about Lily. It is very scary and stressful to watch your dog have a seizure. I had a yorkshire named Wickett who had very severe ones. They put him on Phenobarbital and he was fine. As long as he took the meds he never had any. Now I have a papillion name Gizmo and he has them. They are not to bad right now. The vet said as long as he doesn't have more than 3 a month they won't put him on any meds. The Pheno causes liver damage so you have to outweigh the severity against the side effects. The best thing you can do is what you did. Just comfort her and be there with her if you can. I'm sure it's very frightening for them also. And like LouCee said hopefully Pompey will realize what is happening and will also comfort Lily and let you know. My thoughts are with you. I know how much we love our "kids" and I will send up prayers for Lily, Pompey, you and your husband as I'm sure this is a difficult time for all of you. God Bless. HarleyGirl

Carole N. said...

I am so happy to read that Lily doesn't have to go on meds for now. I am sure Pompey senses something is wrong with Lily and is probably feeling sorry for her and not sure what to do.
I hope that the seizures are few and far between.

Thanks for the update even though I am late in reading it. Such a busy couple of weeks with helping look after the grands while Mom was with her dad. They are both home now so things are slowing down a bit. This Grandma is about pooped. LOL

Love and Hugs!

Vera said...

Oh poor Lily, and Pompey too! I do hope she doesn't get those seizures often. And hugs to you too, I know how worried we mommies can get when our pets are going through something...

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking....!

Designs