Pages

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

No work for three months...

Did you ever wonder what you would do if you didn't have to work? Well, that was my reality for my three month paid sabbatical and I have to tell you, it was amazing. Just to be able to do what I want, when I want was a novelty to me. I have worked since I left school at 18 and that is 20 years ago this year. However, my time is up and on Monday, I went back to work. I have to tell you, I was fearing the worst with the pile of work that would be left for me and I wasn't wrong, but I don't feel too bad about it yet. I still feel quite relaxed which is a miracle in itself considering how busy I've been.

A few things have come out of my sabbatical. Firstly, I have really renewed my love of reading and I have been through quite a few books including the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy which I absolutely LOVED and highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read them. I also read 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner' - part of the Twilight series. I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed with it, but was nice to have another book to read that mentioned my favourite vampire!! I've also been reading the Roy Grace series of books by Peter James - I am on the third book right now - 'Not Dead Enough' and am really enjoying them. I also read a book called 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. I have to tell you - this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is about vampires, but not from their point of view, it's from the human point of view. I have to tell you if you only like cuddly, loveable, gorgeous vampires, don't read it, but if you love a good book - it's a must-read!

Secondly, I am developing a love for photography. I got myself my first DSLR camera and have been having lessons from my friend Nikki. The photos she takes are absolutely AMAZING and if I just pick up a fraction of her talent, I will be overjoyed! Watch out over the coming weeks and months and I will show you some of the photos I take so that you can see how I am progressing in between lessons. I won't see Nikki again until 14th August, so I have some time to practice!

Also, I have gotten our house completely together. All the renovation work is done and so I've been able to buy some new things that give that finished, homely look. Oh, and hubby made me a box for the end of the bed to act as a seat and storage for bedding - it's fantastic - he's such a clever one!

Hubby hasn't been bored either - he has decided to try sea kayaking. He has borrowed a kayak from my boss and is going to the beach to try it out at the weekend - another photo opportunity for me and a swimming opportunity for Lily! Speaking of Lily, she has been throwing up a lot recently and we are having it investigated. She had some bloods taken, but nothing showed up, so next up is an ultrasound and x-ray to see if there is any blockage that is causing her bad digestion. Luckily she is insured or else, I would be sweating with the cost right now!! LOL! Wish us luck - the ultrasound is tomorrow :)

OK, so that's the news for today. I will be back soon to post more photos, to show you my new release kit for Friday and give you a new freebie kit starting this weekend. Until then..... TTFN.

4 comments:

DoggiNo said...

Great to read how much you enjoyed your time. Amazing what a little time without the normal routine does.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Lily. Hope all turns out ok.

Aggy said...

Glad you enjoyed your time off, I wish I had some right now!
I'm sure Lily will be OK :)

makeyesup said...

Sure hope Lily will be OK and it's something simple that can be taken care of right away. Glad you enjoyed your 3 months. Can't wait to see more of your photos.

Marif said...

I hope work is going okay.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something minor as far as Lily goes. Poor girl...
Thanks for the reading recommendations. I've been wondering about the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I've decided I really should give it a try. And I'll recommend The Passage to hubby who like mean vampires better than sparkly ones ;)

And I can't wait for the new freebie...

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking....!

Designs